Saturday, January 25, 2014

"Mrs. Schotte" Introduction

Hey all, for those of you I have not met (can't wait to meet more excellent art peeps), here is a bit about me. My name is Kelley Schotte, I am in the homestretch of my MU Master's Journey. I will be done after my summer courses and walk in December, it's bitter sweet, but excited and proud to be almost done. I teach K-5 art in Blue Springs, MO. This is my 4 year of teaching, and probably the most interesting thus far. I have a student teacher for the first half of the semester, he is my first student teaching... it's exciting and terrifying to be someone else example and mentor! It has also made me extremely reflective and analytical of my practices, more than I could have expected.
I have been to a slew of schools, I have my AA from Metropolitan community colleges in Kansas City, I did a semester at NWMSU during undergrad, and finally found my home and comfort in the 'burg' at UCM. And now here I am at MU for my Master's Degree and I could not be happier with this program :)
Being "Mrs. Schotte", and the art class everyone loves, has been the true motivation of everything I do! My 600+ artists make my day, everyday, and I love every minute of my journey teaching their sponge like minds. I am blessed to have an amazing support system of family, friends, and colleagues. Being surrounded by a great team of teacher/Master's students has opened doors to great new ideas and forever changed my teaching for the better, You all rock and I will be sad when I am not constantly surrounded by this utopian learning environment.
When I'm not being Mrs. Schotte, I spend time on the following: My family, my graduate work, reading and traveling. My husband, Brian, and I have been very fortunate to travel around the world, soaking up the art, food, wine, culture and sun! If I wasn't a teacher, I would find a way to be a professional foodie and wino that travels the world, making my own wine on the side of course.
I am excited to jump into this semester with my the drive of being more reflective and seeing how that can change my teaching and bring to light things we do everyday without a thought that are a vital part of our role as awesome art educators!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelley! So glad you are here!
    Looove your background! Is that new? Are those your photos?

    ReplyDelete