Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What works chap 3

Chapter 3
Discover what you know
The journal keeping would be helpful for myself and K's Paraprofessional, but at this point he is not ready for such a big step.
The sources I can consult/have are the VI specialists for my school. I also have talked with another art teacher in the district who works with a 5th grade blind student. These sources had limited suggestions.
I think my next stop is going to be talking to someone in my area that specializes in helping blind children. If memory serves me correct, there is St. Joseph School for the Blind about an hour from my home city. I need to find those who are more experienced, but that are also willing to spend the time to help with my subject and take an interest as well.
I also think it would be beneficial if I had a brainstorming partner. Someone that could plan an entire lesson, and teach it to me while I am blindfolded. I tried blindfolding myself and working just to get a basic understanding, but it is not as helpful to yourself if you already know what is on the table and how it works.
Google-ography
1. NFB- the National Federation of the Blind. Not for profit organization that offers programs for youth and adults. Not a lot of information for kids.
2. AFB- American Foundation for the Blind. Easy link "for parents with children who are visually impaired." has a few article to help parents, probably would need to directly contact someone, but it seems like this would be a great contact and resource. Also offers web-inars on basic life skills, journal articles and books for a price.
3.DESE- Talked about Rehabilitation Services for the Blind, a state agency that provides FREE services to blind or visually impaired children 0-14.Offers training and assistance to parents and TEACHERS! This looks to be a great contact.
4. http://arteducationdaily.blogspot.com/2010/12/teaching-art-to-blind-student.html  YES this could be the ultimate resource! With tons of links for further ideas and help. More investigating on this site is a 5must.
5. http://www.artbeyondsight.org/sidebar/aboutaeb.shtml  looks to be another good resource, but potentially aimed more at those adults who have lost their vision.
6. http://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr10/issue3/f100325.html  great article
7. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CKoBEBYwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trinity.edu%2Forg%2Fsensoryimpairments%2FVI%2FTA%2FVI%2520-%2520Final%2520Ch%25205%2520Activities%2520-%2520Art.doc&ei=EyrQT4v6CIrD2QXFs8XJDA&usg=AFQjCNEsQPcq1VEvzR_Zh4ao-7KR-HQrfg&sig2=QG-qSf_gz2BHhrUVu1bDvQ   Great article with a lot of sensory ideas

Well enough of that for now, but it is amazing what you can come up with as you refine your google search by using the right key words. The winning phrase of the night "how to teach a blind child about art."

Shaping your working bibliography
I feel like I still have a ton of research to do before I can refine my sources too much. But in a quick search it became very evident that based on this specific child's needs, I need to be more specific in the questions I'm asking and the research needs to stay focused on young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment