Explore the Emic and the Etic
Emic stance. As an insider I know there are important skills and concept that need to be taught to K, from me. But I also understand that he has a LONG way to go in his learning before I can even get to certain content ideas. Even the idea of K eventually using scissors is the most terrifying thing to me. I know I got on my soap box in chap 2, but I still feel that my subject is valuable and he needs it. I also feel that in spite of his VI he should still have to follow some rules.
Etic stance. As an outside I think I would see a young man who is really struggling to do the simplest tasks. But I would also see that this school is trying really hard to do what they can for him. As an outside (substitute para's) have made the comment, that it seems like no one has ever made him mind before.
Three Questions of Analysis
What surprises you? Why don't we have the knowledge? Why haven't we had more training?
What intrigues you? K's situation is a new one for teaching, and I am totally fascinated. I am always going to be enthusiastic about what I teach, no matter who I am teaching it to. I am intrigued by the challenge that K presents me as a teacher.
What disturbs you? Expectations, why did parents refuse to get him more free help before this experience? Why is it that mom&dad appear not to care that much?
State your ethics
This seems easier than it should be...
I am here to teach no matter the challenge. K will get the education he deserves from me. No research work or findings will be published without the consent of K's parents, the VI director, and administration. Names are changed for privacy reasons.
No comments:
Post a Comment