Thursday, October 4, 2012

VTS Week 7

Common Core

I must admit, my experience with CC has been very slight. I have been in a few meetings were they briefly discussed a few important ideas. I am ready to be educated on this topic, especially looking forward to the CC workshop at Knob! And my art department is looking at bringing someone in to discuss CC with the art teachers for our next PD day.  My fellow teachers have been through several meeting about CC so far (they let the art people do their own pd that day).

I am finding it difficult to voice my opinion/attitude based on my inexperience with CC. My one concern I feel I can voice is, Is CCSS just another buzz things, you know the it thing of school. Is this here to replace "no child left behind" and do it right, or simply a new name with a few restructurings? Needless to say I need more knowledge.

After our think tank session, I am convinced from what little I was able to see of the standards, VTS fits in so well it's crazy. I was totally amazed that all of us were able to look at a short list of items with reading and we could fit VTS in, in every way!  This makes me so happy to be on the front end of a movement that is actually going to do something great and still meet the mandates of the state. Go VTS!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm also ready to hear more about common core. I feel rather in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post a document on our class blogsite for you to look at. It is a synopsis of pg 7, the portrait of students who are college and career ready and how VTS addresses these. Of course, the CCSS leaves it up to the states and school districts to determine how they will meet these standards, but if you are VTSing, you are addressing multiple ones simultaneously....and yes, it is crazy how closely aligned they are!

    I'm currently writing an article about the art/VTS/Common Core intersections. STay tuned!

    ReplyDelete