Thursday, June 6, 2013

Read & React 4

Eisner-Describing Learning in the Visual Arts
Eisner even agrees with Dewey and Kathy- the importance of building a community where we can learn from each other. "It is also a function of what they learn from others as they become members of a community" (Eisner 2002). We develop that community feel in our current classes together. It is fortunate for me that even though I only see my students once a week, they are together in their home rooms as well and have that sense of community. After my students get to know me, we all try to take those risks together and I absolutely encourage the idea bouncing and discuss/learning. In the art room though I think it is very different than their classrooms. I have found that everyone seems to fit in, and many of those who may not fit in else where seem to feel right at home in our art room. "One of the potential virtues of situated learning is that it increases the probability that students will be able to apply what they have learned." (Eisner 2002) I think that they art room provides a more real world feel due to the types of discussions that students are willing to have, especially when you relate contemporary art to the contemporary issues- more of a risk taking conversation.
Eisner also made another great point that seems to be resonating, he spoke to the need for an experience that allows students to not only repeatedly use the media, but to experiment with it, find it's limitations and let the media guide the students choices. To just create with it. He likened this idea to the process of learning to play the piano, which I can relate to, it takes years and a lot of practice. I feel like this would be a great way to explain to parents why there child is coming home with experimental play art from different stations they are trying out and learning media play, rather than a bunch of finished products that doesn't truly allow them to investigate that media and it's capabilities.


Freedman-Interpreting Visual Culture
I was Pinging like crazy again with this chapter, resorting to a lot of thoughts from our Visual cultures class. Another ping from this statement, "The contribution of student interpretation to classroom discussion can be increasingly meaningful as they change their thinking through processes of critical reflection."(Freedman 2003) was to VTS. It is amazing to watch their wheels turn as they change their minds because of other ideas, or spending time away and thinking, only to come back so excited to tell me what else is happening.
"but a person does not have to visit an art museum to see forms of visual culture."(Freedman 2003)This point brings home the concepts that we as well as our other authors have been saying. Today's students are totally immersed in visual culture, heck it's probably even in their dreams :) Well it is for me!  But the reality is that our kids spend amazing amount of time taking in visual information and it's time to arm them with the skills to decode. I think about how often my students would (hopefully) change their perspective about a product or piece of information if they really understood what they were looking at.
PING- "The Impact of contemporary imagery has generated a wide range of sociopolitical and economic issues, including its influence on student identity, notions of citizenship, beliefs about democracy, and so on."(Freedman 2003) I'm Pinging from a comment that Michelle made in studio- but this statement and Michelle's point about needing to show our students contemporary art so that they can see how the artists are thinking and working with current topics! Great point, sometimes with the elementary art I am guilty of sticking to my old reliable favorites (oldies) and forgetting these is a whole new world of excited art that my students MUST be exposed too.
"If we want students to think critically about visual culture, they need to actively engage in reflecting on their own art and their responses to postmodern culture".(Freedman 2003) this keeps bringing me back to the idea of how important it is to spend time with your art and discuss it, reflect upon it, change it etc. I am looking for suggestions for quick and easy ways that my elementary kids can reflect on their work?
The following quote speaks for itself:
"The expanding realm of visual culture is not just worthy of study because it's out there, it is worthy of study because  it's in here; through art making and viewing, we shape our thinking about the world and about ourselves."(Freedman 2003)
And needs to be a quote on my wall for my kids, especially the final part of this thought. It makes me want to pose a very simple question to all I meet, Would you be who you are today without art?

2 comments:

  1. Kelley! I love the parallel you make between learning music and creating visual art! Thats perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that those kids who sometimes don't fit in anywhere else can shine like superstars in the art room. All it takes is that human connection, your acknowledgement of their 'human-ness' and it's like Kathy says, they'll move mountains for you. I agree too, that learning within the art room is very different from the community of the classroom. They've been so condition to seek permission for everything that they do in the confines of the classroom. I struggle all year, trying to break through. If you need scissors, get scissors, if you need glue, get glue. If you make a mess, please clean it up. 'Autonomy', just another lesson learned via the arts.

    ReplyDelete