Sunday, June 9, 2013

Read & React 5

Lions and Tigers and Curriculum, OH MY!
Chapter 6 Eisner-
This chapter about curriculum didn't do a lot for me, but there were a few interesting tid-bits. The following quote makes me think about how my art fair is organized and what a simple snap shot it gives of my curriculum. “What I have suggested is the creation of educationally interpretive exhibitions that explain to viewers the features of the work on display and describe the forms of thinking that the child had to engage in to create such work”(Eisner 2002). Needless to say, I once again feel the need to do some serious reconstruction... just in baby steps. But SOOO many ideas are spinning around in my head that i know I will never settle for one great way for my curriculum. It will be forever changing like my students and myself.
The following quote makes me laugh out loud: “Thus, when policymakers and educational theorists define a curriculum for a school or a classroom, they are also defining the forms of thinking that are likely to be promoted in the school. They are, in effect, laying out an agenda for the development of mind” (Eisner 2002).   Wow, trying to think again about that snap shot of my curriculum and what that says about our artistic development... again, there is much room for improvement. 

Chapter 6 Freedman- This chapter offered an interesting view on curriculum. As we develop as teachers, our views on what curriculum should or should not be changes. Funny how we have been discussing the basic concepts for the common core and how our curriculum's need to give students the opportunity for creating, responding and presenting. "is a matter of revealing to students the ways in which curriculum is constituted through the actions of conducting research, reporting, "reading" and otherwise interpreting, planning and writing, and enacting, including the ways in which individual teachers come to understand curriculum structures and content and present these in class." (Freedman 2003) All of these ideas of what a really great curriculum should be are really beginning to connect together.
This is another one of those excellent art advocacy points that needs to be on a poster in the art room.
"and, in art education, the best outcomes are often those that are beyond 'the box' of the objectives in their creativity, imaginativeness, and originality. Art problems are authentic; they are some of the few problems in school for which the teacher does not know the answer." (Freedman 2003) This also a great reminder that there doesn't have to be 1 right answer, that there are many possibilities and that our students need to use this idea to keep that creative drive alive, always questioning and being okay with the unknown. I found that the scope and sequence for teaching visual culture examples for all art levels is something that is a great addition to helping with the development of big ideas for my curriculum~ Bonus :)


Visual Literacy White Paper-
Honestly this felt like a pamphlet for selling the ideas of teaching about visual literacy's. These were the lines that peaked my interest:
*  "To make meaning from the images, the ‘reader’ uses the critical skills of exploration, critique, and reflection"(Bamford).
*  "Visual literacy is what is seen with the eye and ‘seen’ with the mind. "(Bamford)
*  "Visual literacy also involves making judgements of the accuracy, validity and worth of the image." (Bamford).
*  "To be an effective communicator in today’s world, a person needs to be able to interpret, create and select images to convey a range of meanings." (Bamford)  PING-Kathy’s point about the three things our curriculum needs to do create, reflect and present!
*  "Visual literacy is a gradual process of gaining greater sophistication of perception, conception and visual and linguistic vocabulary." (Bamford)
The above points among many others were said in ways I had not heard before and allowed for more enlightenment on the ideas of visual literacy, if I wasn't already sold before, I certainly am now! The examples of visual syntax were interesting- may need to be a list in the room somewhere about ways to influence your art.

Part One Pink and Play chapter-
I was totally fascinated with the studies of the brain and the imagery used. If I wasn't so afraid of small spaces, I would totally want to do that.
I'm pretty sure I have read the chapter on Play for another class, but it was still a great review of wonderfully joyous things to think about. Pink makes several points that really impact what I need to think about with my students everyday.
*"He believes that laughter can function like a benevolent virus- that it can infect individuals, communities, even nations." (Pink 2005).
*"People rarely succeed at anything unless they are having fun doing it" (Pink 2005)
Both of these quotes put into perspective the ideas of how play and laughter can be used to elevate learning. Another point from Pink is the use of games to elevate learning, I'm not sure I totally agree with this idea, but I found it very interesting that Wardynski created the video games for the Army based on the idea of meeting people where they live. Isn't that what we as teachers should be doing each and everyday?!?! YES- So the more I read about gaming and how you can play, become someone else, experience something that maybe you couldn't in real life, might not be so bad after all. But I do have to say- What is anyone actually learning from games like GTA or Scareface.... NOTHING but bad attitudes influences and habits. From an educational standpoint, I agree children NEED to play... and since they don't go outside much anymore, they need to have an outlet for their imaginations. Looks like games are an options. I must admit when people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them I am an art teacher K-5, most respond along the lines of that must be nice, and I simply respond, I love my job, I get to play all day!

Daniel Pink’s interview with Oprah
Interesting, conversation, but I think I most enjoyed when Oprah said “And understand that it is only through story that you build connections.” Kind of ties into a lot of what Kathy says and how/what she explores in her art- Ping!

No comments:

Post a Comment