I felt that my genealogy was best displayed with the thought of a vineyard, as grape vines have to be continually nurtured and pruned to create the best wine. Here is the start:
First a few explanations- I feel that each and everyone of these people played a vital part in the growth of my vineyard of education, and their are still more to be added. The two "tear/rain drops" represent two amazing educators that left a lasting impression, but have since left us, and leaving an even harder learning experience of loosing people who were so influential. There are a few falling "dead" leaves that represent some of the educators who needed to be pruned, and their habits noted as weak and poor, therefore they have only taught me what not to be. What surprised you about your educational history? I was surprised at the magnitude of my list, and how vivid my memories of those people were, be it good or bad. I was not however surprised at how many names I put down as bad educators~ one of the many reasons I decided to go into education, be and do so much better than they had done. What patterns do you notice emerging? Interesting enough I found my roots of learning came from my parents, many of my beginning qualities I learned from them. I some how ended up with the post that helps to hold the grape vine being the two most influential art teachers. I love the way everyone is intertwined together to create my influence. I have noticed that I have taken the qualities that I found so important in these people and have tried very much to put them into my teaching. Thinking about these specific qualities also gives me a good reminder of some of the qualities I had forgotten and thoroughly enjoyed, can't wait to re-invigorate my teaching and attitude with some oldie but goodies.
Your genealogy is so well thought out with the rain drops and dead leaves and other aspects. I completely relate to responding more to the bad educators as a push to make education better for the future generations. I had a few of those and noticed that I found myself saying "I will never be like that teacher". I also noticed that while I do remember those bad teachers I have since forgotten their names, I guess that would a be a respect thing.
ReplyDeleteOhhhh! Vines and interweaving!!! Absolutely!!!!! I wonder about the soil these vines take root in? ;) All beautifully constructed metaphor! (Im getting a zillion ideas and images from this as I sit with it! SOOOOO much will grow from this!) Im jumping up and down can you tell?
ReplyDeleteI love this metaphor! And it embodies your personality, too! very thoughtful.
ReplyDeleteWow.... very powerful metaphor! I instantly was transforming my lineage to your metaphor and it worked so perfectly! I didn't prune any of the not-so-hot teachers out of my lineage, because, as you said, they show what not to do. How very important those boundaries have become to me. What to avoid as a teacher has become as powerful as what to embrace.
ReplyDelete