For Marzano’s Teacher Scales for Reflection, I found myself rated
exactly where I would expect to be, 2-3 developing and applying these
strategies, yet recognizing that I need to make changes as needed to continue
growing with my students. The whole time I kept thinking how cool this would be
to take every few years before, during and at the end of your teaching career-
with complete and total honesty, something you would only see. This would be a
great way to see how you’ve grown and maybe what areas you still need to be
working on or are avoiding. I was a bit overwhelmed by the Marzano chapter and
reflection, because it immediately made me think, “Oh, how could I have let
this lax, I need to work on this.” But I also felt overwhelmed by the fact that
as I’m reading I was thinking… Only 50 minutes a week, how in the world can we
cram all of this in…? Wait we can but it means being so amazingly prepared for
everything, and several years of a foundation of students brought up in my
manner of teaching that know the practices and how we run it. And not constantly changing my mind about
every little thing~ if it’s hard for me to keep up, it’s hard for them to keep
up.
The theme that kept emerging to me when I look back between
my qualities and reflection scales was my thought process when rating myself. I
frequently had the thought of, well sometimes we do this, and then some days
this seems less important or less of a focus. I feel like when I really look
back on my teaching, it’s a bit of a roller coaster for me and my students. I
am always dead on and consistent when it comes to my love for my students and
teaching, and classroom management. But when I look at assessment, or other
areas, I think I’m probably doing it always, but I’m not always present in my
mind to be specifically thinking about each and every one of these things…
Hopefully I’m not the only one who feels this day. My mental focus of what I am
trying to do better can fluctuate daily, and for simple reasons, like last week’s
assignment, or the staff meeting this morning, or something another teacher
said yesterday. Even though I feel a bit all of the place with these things I always
find that I come back and hit on them multiple times, almost as a refresher.
As for objectivism- well part of me feels like a lot of my
childhood education was spent memorizing and listening and then regurgitation of
what I learned and then forgetting it. To an extent we need to be able to
memorize certain things and I do ask this of my students, but I try to find
more ways for them to explore and learn these important things through
experimentation in the art room. I feel that if I can make it fun and they can
make these discoveries as learners they will hang on to that information
longer.
Hi Kelley,
ReplyDeleteWe can be our own worst enemies when examining what we are up to, so my first piece of advice, and an obvious one, is be kind to yourself. All the reasons you illustrate above already make for a full plate of activity to manage. I liken it to learning how to juggle sometimes. Its a lot to have in the air,... while riding a unicycle, ..... across a tight rope,... blindfolded.... backwards..... playing the harmonica.... Get the picture? LOL That said, each one is a skill and as it is honed becomes more fluid and in sync with the motion of teaching. The first step is having the awareness that something might benefit from focused attention. Once that becomes harmonious, then other things do too and you can guide your attention to another area. The very fact you want kids to enjoy learning and connect it to them so they do retain it is already wonderful. Now make sure that your teaching is as fun for you too!