Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 5


Chapters 5 & 6, “Reflective Teaching” Chapter 5 Marzano.
 
The different traditions were interesting to read through, I found myself sometimes identifying with parts of a tradition, or remember how a teach I have had seem to have this tradition about their teaching, and I also found myself disgusted by some parts of certain traditions.
As I think about what kind of a teacher I am and what tradition do I most identify with I would have to say I identify with a more progressive tradition, but I also think that my feet are in the pond of the spiritual-contemplative tradition, just slowing wading in the more I teach and learn.
I feel I am more on the progressive tradition side due to how I was personally raised and the kind of learning environment I experienced as a child. When I sit down to create lessons I have my student in mind first thing, and then the other important factors required of course. I hope as I watch my video I see the evidence of putting my students and their learning/creativity first and foremost.
I feel that this tried and true way of teaching does have it's faults, which explains my slow movement over to the side of spiritual-contemplative tradition, I am just starting to experience these moment in the classroom, moments that I feel are the kind of moments that Kathy, Amy, and Hyatt talk about! the ah-ha moments for students, those truly meaningful experiences that can shape and change a students life... that's what I'm working towards. 
 
2. How would you describe your teaching self?   still mulling this one over, not exactly sure how to accurately explain this without talking in circles... until more comes.
 

2 comments:

  1. Talk in circles, more often than not, they become spirals and spirals go someplace. You will be surprised! Go with it like stream of consciousness writing.

    Can you please also post your responses to your peers blogs here (back log them if you must) You will be glad later! Trust me... (and it's a requirement.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley,
    I'm interested to know which parts disgusted you? The more I read, the more I think about just how off base our education system is. We've chosen a ruff profession and I think we'll always be battling to create a system that is right.
    What ah-ha moments have you had recently? Sometimes I fear, being a first year teacher keeps me so busy with management and planning that I often overlook the important things. I need to focus more on my spiritual-contemplative side as well. :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete