Reflection on my video of me teaching:
How do I feel the
lesson went prior to watching the film- Well considering I had already
tried to film myself teaching the previous 2 hours, but couldn’t figure out why
the camera kept shutting off while I was teaching. Well you know what they say,
3rd time was the charm- I figured out that my camera would only
record 20 minute segments. Overall I
felt that the lesson went as well as I could have expected. We had some noise
troubles and we were rushed at the end, but I felt like they were still engaged
in spite of their noise level. So we shall see…
How I feel the lesson
went after watching myself teach- The
first part here are my observation notes I took while watching my 50 minute
lesson - I like that since they came in
loud, I was followed them in and said “Oh, I asked you to come in quietly” and
they all got very quiet. Free sit craziness. Good demo. Loud working in the
start- high 5- lost quiet voice friends. 2nd warning about inside
voices- a lot of loud voices in this class and they all congregated around the
table closest to the camera. I like that I traveled around the room to work on
my page with them- worked as a classroom management technique. Warning to that
table of boys- probably should have gotten out the cups to help with volume. 3rd
warning about voices in about 15 minutes. Then if you are already done, thank
you for waiting quietly. Make the kids bring up the texture plates to keep
moving- kids coming up loud, I keep asking them to do it quietly. Video stops
and I don’t know it until after I have done another instruction segment. When
video comes back on they are much quieter, and I have given them a short time
limit so they are focused and working hard. I am pushing the kids more this
time- giving quick bits of direction or motivation every 30-45 seconds. I talk
a lot over the group. Walking around while cutting… great example Schotte! I
should go to the child to tell them something, not talk across my room like I
did with E. But my constant interruption
seems to be helping them get quieter to hear my direction. Give them more steps
of instruction- they are starting to get loud, Again I warn the whole class but
especially 3 and 4 tables. I can see two students quietly fighting over
something and immediately I’m over to their table getting involved. I make them
look through their pieces to see who has ones similar to the one they are
fighting over. I’m positive it matches the girls’ rectangles, not the boys’.
Then he yells right in my face about it. But I calming asking him not to yell,
I handled the situation very quietly between the three of us. And I ended up
keeping the piece so that there wouldn’t be a fight. Okay problem solved let’s do another demo and
transition. Now the boy is getting rude to his neighbor, I simply said, “It is
done, now you need to drop it, understand?”
On to the demo- I’m pleased with how many people I am catching looking elsewhere.
Ha without even looking up from my demo (I guess I could see him from the
corner of my eye) I said, “My friend who is jumping, please stop and move to a
place you can see… Nice. But later I must being doing a good job ignoring the
kid that is behind me, jumping up on my chair, now he is missing I guess behind
me on the floor. Maybe I need assigned spots during demo because I doubt he is
getting any of this. Then I only give them 5 minutes to glue. At this point we
are rushing to get this step done- I ask them to help others when they are
done. I can hear my student teacher has come back in the room and he also is
working with students. It helps having two hands for this project. Many are
done early and I have them start cleaning up and stacking chairs to give them
something to do. They are a little crazy during cleanup and some of the kids
are moving so slowly- this class is full of all different paces of groups.
During the final clean up I have to pull my friend aside again for throwing a
wash rag against the wall. They finally get in line and get quiet. Closing
statement- I cannot see them in the camera, but I hear myself asking them to
look forward and control their bodies in line. I explain that they will not be
getting their spot to them and their teacher, because It was their free sit day
and they were too loud, had trouble following directions and listen. I say, “I
know you had your free sit today, but it is still your job to be a hard working
artist, use our inside voices and listen.”
After watching myself teach this lesson I kept thinking- I
need to smile more. I also feel that I was way too lenient on this class with
their noise level. I’m guessing if we would have had a minute of heads down or
use a few other talking strategies, maybe they would have been more focused. I
was pleased with myself and how I handled the situation with a student who kept
causing a bit of trouble (he happens to be the one I wrote the student
perspective on). As for my goals I had so many that I needed to group them
down. So to focus on one particular goal- I want to be better about reframing
the learning situation- and doing in action rather than after the lesson. I was
able to step back during my lesson and say, okay the kids are loud yes, but
why? Well they have a free sit (earned reward of no seating chart that day)
therefore they will be loud when with friends, and there are 26 of them in this
class. I noticed that they were working hard, and when they weren’t I would go
to that particular student and chat with them, get them back on track. However
I feel like this is just brushing the surface of learning how to reframe
learning situations. I think my final statement to them about it being their
responsibility to keep their voices down while with their friends lost the
ability to reframe- I should have used a technique where I set out Red, Yellow,
and Green cups on each table. The kids understand how each color correlates
with what their noise level should be at their table. It’s hit or miss
sometimes as to whether these techniques work.
I also haven’t been able to spend as much time directly with
my students due to the fact that my student teacher has been here (this also
made it difficult to get the time to film me teaching a full lesson. We have
been giving him the teaching time or team teaching). Friday was his last day,
and I have just really started getting my full class back this last week. I’m
pleased to be getting back to what I love most, rather than being a substitute
for so many other classes while he was teaching.
Class from the perspective
of my friend “C”- This is how I would imagine he processes during my
class and what he is learning while in my room:
Yeah free sit. I definitely want to sit by her during demo. I
wonder if she will notice that I changed seats. I’m blue, I’m blue, it’s my
job, yes I get the paper first. Oh, this is so cool. Hmm, I want to use this
green crayon to create my texture. Get every little corner covered. “Mine is
all Done, what now?” oh, I don’t need this crayon anymore, I’m going to throw
it into the box. Oh man she brought more over, I was done, okay I’m going to
put more on my picture. Mrs. Schotte, I’m
done, look… I’m really board just sitting here. Okay now I’m going to draw a
bunch of rectangles… why am I drawing all these rectangles, I wonder what they
are for? Let’s put one here and another one, a big one here. And I’m done! Woo
now I can get my scissors, let’s see I want the orange ones. (sigh) does she
ever slow down or stop talking? Why did I choose the seat by Mrs. Schotte. Wow
look at all these rectangles, gosh I’m getting sick of cutting. Why did I make so many rectangles. Okay I’m done,
yes. Where do I put my scraps? Oh here in the box. Yes, I can help pick up all the boxes of
crayons. Let’s see how many boxes I can pick up at once, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Wow these textures are interesting, look this
one looks like a snake skin, but it’s in the wrong place and so is this one-
here I will fix this. (now putting my name on my paper) lets set out all of my
rectangles. Hey that’s mine (neighbor argues that it is hers) no give it back
to me! (Now Mrs. Schotte is involved-“C let’s look through our pile and find
one that has this same color and pattern on it)
I know I have more, look for it, find it… oh, here see Mrs. Schotte ,
this one has green on it and then this one has red on it. No it is mine (Mrs.
Schotte- C this one doesn’t look like it belongs to yours, it matches perfectly
to K’s) NO IT’S MINE… Uh, she’s so mean and doesn’t understand, it’s mine… what
why is she keeping it, that is stupid. I look at my neighbor- great this is all
your fault. Opps, Mrs. Schotte wasn’t supposed to hear that. Oooo I like that picture what a cool city. Oh,
that’s what the rectangles are for cool I’m going to put one here and then this
one here (Mrs. Schotte makes everyone at our table stop while she is doing a
demo) I don’t want to wait- she needs to hurry up I know what to do. Finally
she is done; keep gluing I have to be first one done. (I continue to glue
quickly). Ha I’m done! Where does this go? Oh the drying rack. Yes time to wash
tables, who cares that it’s not my job. Woo it fun to run around the table with
this washcloth, I wonder if it will fly all the way off the table… Yes, it even
hit the wall…Oh, she saw that. (I walk over to Mrs. Schotte) No it’s not my
job, I don’t know why I threw it, okay fine I’ll get in line. I love being the
line leader. What now she is telling Mrs. Somogye about it all, oh man a red
card, no fair. I’m glad I’m leaving.
Later that week a student asks C what are we doing in art he
responds, “We are making these really cool cities and you get to use these
bumpy things that make different designs on your paper, they were really fun!”
WOW! That class most definitely has a lot of energy! I found myself reading it quickly to keep pace with the feeling of it, LOL.
ReplyDeleteNow that you have completed this, consider the goal you mentioned in your reflection and perhaps one more and keep track of strategies you try in your reflection log for the next four weeks. You'll be looking for shifts and changes reflected in the second video. Obviously other things will be occurring as well, but think of the goals as anchors or at least a starting point. You may also want to borrow someone else's camera for round two :)
What grade were these guys?
Oh, yeah, duh, forgot about all the info on the lesson. This was 2nd grade 26 or 27 students. This was a lesson in creating texture cities. this was day one of two. First day they do a full page of texture, then create different sized rectangles from that page. Lastly they look at different city-scapes and create their own. Day 2 is adding the details of windows, rooms, sign etc.
ReplyDelete