Sunday, March 9, 2014

Week 6 TED Videos

Ken Robinson-
I have seen this video more times than I can count and each time new things stick out. I also have to watch it several times to process all of the information, it’s almost a bit of an overload. I was discussing this video with my student teacher and the things he remembered from it were drastically different than what I remembered. Which leads me to believe that we each take something different based on who we are and where we are in our lives. We take what sticks… a few major ideas stuck with me here: “College degree doesn’t promise a job, and especially if the route to it marginizes everything you believe”- this is one of those areas that has been true for me, luckily I was able to see it was happening, I hit the road and found the right universities for me J.
“We should be waking them up to what they have inside themselves.”  I can’t even begin to count how many of my students are medicated. And how many of those are truly like zombies. I really love Ken’s point that we need to wake them up to what is inside themselves. I believe that is what we need places like the art room for. A safe haven for them to be themselves and discover what is inside themselves.

TED Talk Video- Teaching design for change- Emily Pilloton
Emily present an idea of how to incorporate teaching design as a way to get students, involved in the community, get them excited about their education, formulate some jobs, and show the community that the youth is a valuable part of their education. It was interesting to hear her say the town is “the brain drain where all of the most educated leave and never come back.” I think being from a small town I understand what she is talking about. You either are there for life, or you go to college learn great things and try to get out. I love how she describes their work ethic, “Nobility in hands on dirt under your fingernail type of work.” The learning landscape was very cool, we could use that at our school. “Creating the conditions for which change is possible and the incentive to want to make change!” this is something that all communities need. Wow that sentence will be put on my sticky note wall at work- reminding me that you have to make those good conditions for change- which is super hard to do and hard to create that incentive as well.

 TED Talk Video- We are the stories we tell ourselves- Shekhar Kapur
“We prepare too much we think too much, knowledge becomes a weight upon wisdom. Because out of chaos I’m hoping some moment of truth will come.” Get out of your mind create that panic. I’m still trying to understand exactly why panic allows him freedom from his own mind. But this talk gave an interesting perspective, I have seen many of these period of pieces and hadn’t really thought about the story that the camera angle is trying to communicate. I found this idea of story interesting, because a lot of times we use story in our teachings and lesson, trying to create an experience for our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment