What lies beyond the title of "teacher?" Well at first when I dropped the title, a lot of other titles came to mind like: parent, care giver, facilitator, inspirer. But when consider the title is gone, we still have the same job, but can we then do it without the judgments that seem to come with this label, like those labels talked about in the book. I can help to engage my kids in creative learning, helping them get past what everyone else says about them and their art so that as one of my fifth graders expressed in the last two weeks, “ this is the only place I can be myself besides home, the only class I can really let my inner Lindsey shine.” (Tear, proud teacher moment) Not just are we “teachers” when we are teachers are everything that our students need us to be and more, which means we wear more hats than the mad hatter!
I found myself making a huge connection with the idea of labels and the connotations that can come with those labels. About a month ago I was honored with a label, and since then I have been constantly considering the judgments that come upon every action I make because of that label. I also have had others cast those judgments upon me, based on that label. This has been a great honor, yet it has also caused many sleepless nights, insane amounts of undue stress, and conveniently a lot of extra work. I have been bending over backwards for the past month to make sure I am filling those shoes that that label gave me- in all reality those shoes are different based upon those who wear them. This chapter allowed me to have a small slice of peace of mind that it doesn't matter the label, I need to keep doing exactly what I've been doing (not worrying about others perceptions and judgments) because that is what earned me that honorable label. And whatever happens… happens. As some might say it's time "to let go, and let God."
This particular part of the book spoke to me in different ways, "Not only do labels limit how we see others; they can profoundly affect how we see ourselves.” And this will be shrined on my mirror at home and on my desk at work… now to help my students see and understand this.
2. Contemplate deeply the idea of truth speaking. Reflect on your classrooms and your relationships with your students… How and where is truth speaking present?
At first I was giggling about the idea of truth speaking the first time I read that passage, (imagining that movie with Jennifer Anniston and Paul Rudd in that movie where they go to the hippie commune and have the truth circle) but then as I really started contemplating this idea of speaking the truth it seemed so refreshing. “Truth speaking is particularly difficult because we have been conditioned to believe that we must dilute our personal truth in order to be accepted by others.” This is exactly why I personally behave the way I do in front of certain people. Over time I have found a few handfuls of people that I feel okay to truly be myself and that I also can speak my mind with the knowledge that there will be no judgments placed upon me (my number 1- would be my Mom). I hope that I can create this environment with my students. Lindsey is a great example of a student that can embrace the idea of truth speaking- But in all honesty I think it all has to do with the teachers attitude. Because If I the “teacher” whom she and others consider the adult in charge as well as a small group of peers can accept her for what she is, she is pleased. So it starts with us, to show that example. I know there are many that have felt that comfort in my room, but I’m sure that I need to work on the students who don’t feel this way- discover what it is about me that doesn’t fully allow them this ability to truth speak and make some changes to make them feel more comfortable and accepted. Now I’m questioning what exactly has to be done to create an environment where all our students feel comfortable enough to speak their truth? Something that I believe will take time to develop- just like trust and respect- but that will also be constantly changing with each generation of kids to walk in my door. As I’m mulling over this idea of where and when is it present in my room- I’m keep thinking where it needs more room to be present- Duh Schotte, in the most important place of all, their ART! This is exactly why I’m striving so hard to create an environment and projects that are truly meaningful to each individual student.
On a side note, as I was thinking of truth speaking, I kept thinking about my father and how much I admire the fact that he will speak his mind and what he knows to be true no matter what someone else says to him or about him. However this man I admire I also think helped me to understand why I strive so hard for greatness with my craft/students/and field in general. He may seem immune (especially on FB- he is a political commenter/researcher) to what others judgments are of him, but when it comes to his true passion in life he is not immune to their judgments and the effect it has on him. That one needs more stewing… more research…and more discussion with him!
3. Thinking back through all the reading and reflecting to date, write a personal classroom mission statement. Something you could put up in your room. After you come up with this statement, share it on your blog and talk (truth speak) a little bit about how you arrived at this statement:
It is hard not to make a personal mission statement like the one share in the book, plain and simple, and so very much meaning packed into one word “Nameste”
LFE Art Room Mission Statement: (this statement has been set forth by Mrs. Schotte and still needs the addition of ideas from our LFE Artist Community)
As a Leopard Artist I promise to be cooperative, respectful, and responsible.
This statement fits in with our LFE mission statement. But when truly broken down we can make it fit oh so well.
Cooperative- as artists we have to work together with our ideas and art.
Respectful- this is where the truth speaking idea comes to play. They need to be respectful and use the “listening filter” while also being respectful of idea from others and themselves.
Responsible- This one nicely covers the ideas of what they will be responsible for as an artist in our art room each and every day. Not just routines and clean-up/supplies but responsible for their ideas as well as comments.
This is going to be a part of the day 1 discussion for every class next year.
4. Reflect on some ways your consciousness about teaching has expanded since the start of this course and how does this relate to your goals? Do your goals need tweaking at this point? Restate them here (as they were or as they now are).
I’m not so sure I have really straight out committed to a goal(s)? I think it’s been more of a round about thing- so here goes:
1. To creative a learning
environment that is meaningful to all artists that enter our community.
2.
(New
one) Create a thought process that helps me to prevent personal burn out and a
thought process that helps me to keep my kids as number 1 in everything I
strive for at LFE. (Sometimes it’s really hard to admit, but I struggle with
being too bogged down with other thoughts- and it can reflect poorly upon my teaching
and artists!)
As for how my consciousness has expanded…hmm, well:
I find myself questioning everything I do and teach, more than I ever thought I could. I also find myself striving to really reaching for those meaningful/powerful artistic moments for my kids and myself. Teaching is a draining job if you are in the wrong mindset. However when in the right mindset (as I feel I am coming back to in the last two weeks) you can truly be inspired and revived by your kids (themselves, their sense of humor, their art, and their Amazing innocent and honest thoughts). I have been working hard to always enjoy the beautiful little moments with them and find the silver lining in every challenging situation.
5.
Anything else that moved you in anyway.
Thank you Amy to introducing me to a book that will be forever read and reread throughout my career. It gave me truths that I needed to hear and be reminded me of the constant thing we always need to keep in perspective (which is also easier to lose sight of in a very busy teaching environment with many demands passed down to you from the powers to be) We are hear for one very specific reason… these kids we all love so much.
Thank you Amy to introducing me to a book that will be forever read and reread throughout my career. It gave me truths that I needed to hear and be reminded me of the constant thing we always need to keep in perspective (which is also easier to lose sight of in a very busy teaching environment with many demands passed down to you from the powers to be) We are hear for one very specific reason… these kids we all love so much.
Hey Kelly, in response to your question "what exactly has to be done to create an environment where all our students feel comfortable enough to speak their truth?", I think the first step is that we have to model courage and speak truth ourselves. Like the author said, we have to make ourselves vulnerable. This is a really scary thought, especially in our most challenging classroom situations. I think, when things start to go baldy with a lesson or in terms of classroom behavior, our instinct is to exercise MORE control and authority. When things aren't going as we want them to, that's when we feel the most vulnerable already. So it takes a lot of courage to speak honestly in times like that. But maybe, if we do, students will respond to our open-heartedness with understanding.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your award, by the way! So interesting, though, how even positive labels can limit and burden us. I know how you feel. But you're right...just keep doing what you do. Obviously, somebody noticed.
WOW! Kelley! What a wonderfully rich reflection!
ReplyDeleteYes, continue to be yourself simultaneously allowing for your own personal evolution.
I also agree with Karen 100% When we loose control in a classroom, its like trying to hold back a collapsing dam. If we instead surrender to it, stop and speak the truth, there is no longer resistance (at least in those moments...) and the charge looses its momentum and makes a place for human truth. SCARY.... One teacher, 30 kids.... It is in those moments though.... those precious moments, where all possibility emerges. Our students look to us for cues. If we hope for them to be their authentic selves, we must be authentic too. That means shedding some of the ideas about who we are and how were supposed to "act" when we are teaching. Will it work every time with every kid? No, probably not, but will it notably shift the atmosphere in your room, yes indeed. Will it open the door for more kids to take the same leap of faith? Yup. Time. All things take time, trust and patience. You got this. You do. Your label is an honor and a recognition of this. You do not have to be anyone different than who you are in each moment.