Monday, June 4, 2012

What works? Chap 1

What works? Chapter 1 exercises Prep work
I am taking a stab at an idea, and hopefully I'm on the right track here?

Chap 1:What bothers me? Many things, but I tried to narrow myself down. How do I get my students more connected with the community as artists? How do I get students and parents more interested in a program that doesn't give grades or trophies? How do I keep my students engaging in art when there not in school, especially considering the schedule most of my students have of extra activities? So then my bigger question is: How can I build a stronger program that gets my students involved with art in the community, at home, at school, with their families etc?

Chap 2: What is the best way for me to connect lessons and teachings of older art with the latest trends and interests of my students?

Chap 3: I know that the sense of community is very strong in my building, but not so much of a community feel for our large town. I know that our artists league has worked very hard to put sculptures all around town in an effort to expose us to more art! How can I use that resource as a teaching tool in the community?

Chap 4: My heritage vs their heritage.
I was brought up in a small town, not a lot of money. I even remember having art on a cart in K-2, but remember nothing about that program. My biggest influence was in middle school, Mrs. McManis is the reason I even thought about becoming an art teacher. I always loved art, but was fortunate enough to finally get a great teacher who challenged me and my idea. My world as a child was always influenced by the arts in many different ways. Technology was not as big of a part of my life.
My students are from a "well-to-do" neighborhood, most having nicer luxuries than I do. They are used to technology being used in every way possible. I strive to be as impactful of a teacher as Mrs. McManis, and try to influence my students feelings and interests for art. Sticking with Holly's idea, our mascot is a leopard. Which makes me think of a fierce animal, a great predator, yet a peaceful and beautiful creature. We always encourage our students to chase after the things that they want and work hard to get what they need.

Chap 5: Data Collecting- use of surveys, input from students, parents, colleagues and the community.

Chap 6: Problem solving strategies
Short term problem- reslife was charging me double. So I went to the root of the problem. I discussed the problem and we came up with a solution... problem solved.
Long term problem- Can't seem to get grad school finished as fast as I originally planned. To solve this problem, I am trying to up my work load, but still stay focused and successful without getting too overwhelmed. Problem will take time to solve.
This problem of wanting a stronger program is not going to be solved overnight. It's going to take a while and a lot of work.

Chap 7:  Due to other personal commitments like grad school time, I am only going to be able to take baby steps. My goal is to start small and implement 1 idea a semester.

Chap 8: Strengths: support system of family, friends, and coworkers. More experienced mentor and district art team. Community support.
Weaknesses: new administrator (that is not nearly as excited about art as my last administrator). Time- not enough minutes in the day.

Chap 9: I need to be more organized to carry out this adventure. Have a special place in my room and my brain for all things that are needed for building a better program. I need more time, Maybe pick a set day of the week to work on my project after school?

Chap 10: Writing is a big hurdle for me, not my strength by any means. Hopefully some of my previous and current classes will help. Do you have to write? or can it be communicated in different ways?

1 comment:

  1. Well done Kelley, nice free writing and thinking. I look forward to your topic of focus later.

    ReplyDelete