Thursday, June 7, 2012

What works chap 5&6

Legwork chap 5
I think a source that I could use, and had not considered before, is someone else who is blind. I can't believe I hadn't thought about it, but interviewing an adult that has been blind their whole life would be an awesome resource.
I think the thing for me to remember is that as I interview people and read articles/websites, I need to mention that this is a research study that will be shared with colleagues. I need their permission/site of my source to share. You have to give credit, where credit is due.
Best data source could be myself... like I've said in earlier posts, have someone teach me, so I can kind of get a feeling for K's situation on a daily basis.
Eyework Chap 6
One of the things we have used to chart K's progress is this checklist. Now I can't remember what it is for, the criteria, and it's packed for the summer. But we were trying to make some of these items things to work on in the art room. For example at the end of this year, we were amazed as K's really started to build up the strength in his hands, and could hold a crayon on his own. We were teaching him how (on his own eventually) to simply draw up and down/ side to side, and understand that directional path. I feel like I need a check list of skills that we can hope to help K accomplish next school year, this is what I would chart/measure/count.
Document Oral Language
Oh, I like the idea of recording to see where the hiccup is so to speak. I know that I have tried really hard to use the same type of vocabulary as K's Para and specialists, while still introducing some art vocabulary. This recording might give me a better way to reflect on my teaching practices with K and help me to experiment with teaching techniques.
Ethnographic Observation
This seems almost like a funny topic for me. As far as making a map goes, K and our other VI students have things that help them identify that "this is the art room, this is the cafeteria" they can sometime tell by the amount of space they have traveled through, or specific turns they are making, as well as textured indicators outside our doors. Bu I try very hard to get setup at the beginning of the year, and not make a lot of changes. My VI students memorize the space, they know I always keep my supplies in specific places, and If I get in a weird mood and temporarily move them, they get confused. I must also admit (this ties in with the language component) that I forget when you say, "they are right over there or see this?" they probably do not know what you are talking about. K is not quite ready to go off and find supplies on his own. In fact he get the whole back table to himself with his Para and their work supplies. I hope that someday we will be at the level of "go get the glue" and he will know where to go on his own. My typical student teacher interaction is that I never stop moving. but when it comes to K this year, I was so insanely busy with the rest of his needy kindergarten classmates, that It was hard. But I always tried to make it a point to spend a moment with him as he came in the door, and then at least 5 minutes during class to interact with him and see how he was doing on techniques. I hope that this time can be expanded and become more conducive to K's needs in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, if you can talk to other visually impaired students or adults that would be helpful but you and also check their advocacy groups and special education research too.

    ReplyDelete